A pass for choosing a Layout after transpilation of a circuit onto a Coupling graph, as a subgraph isomorphism problem, solved by VF2++.
VF2Layout transpiler pass which is designed to find an initial layout for a circuit early in the transpilation pipeline this transpiler pass is designed to try and find a better layout after transpilation is complete. The initial layout phase of the transpiler doesn’t have as much information available as we do after transpilation. This pass is designed to be paired in a similar pipeline as the layout passes. This pass will strip any idle wires from the circuit, use VF2 to find a subgraph in the coupling graph for the circuit to run on with better fidelity and then update the circuit layout to use the new qubits. The algorithm used in this pass is described in arXiv:2209.15512 (opens in a new tab).
If a solution is found that means there is a lower error layout available for the circuit. If a solution is found the layout will be set in the property set as
property_set['post_layout']. However, if no solution is found, no
property_set['post_layout'] is set. The stopping reason is set in
property_set['VF2PostLayout_stop_reason'] in all the cases and will be one of the values enumerated in
VF2PostLayoutStopReason which has the following values:
"solution found": If a solution was found.
"nonexistent solution": If no solution was found.
">2q gates in basis": If VF2PostLayout can’t work with basis
By default this pass will construct a heuristic scoring map based on the the error rates in the provided
target is not provided). However, analysis passes can be run prior to this pass and set
vf2_avg_error_map in the property set with a
ErrorMap instance. If a value is
NaN that is treated as an ideal edge For example if an error map is created as:
from qiskit.transpiler.passes.layout.vf2_utils import ErrorMap error_map = ErrorMap(3) error_map.add_error((0, 0), 0.0024) error_map.add_error((0, 1), 0.01) error_map.add_error((1, 1), 0.0032)
that represents the error map for a 2 qubit target, where the avg 1q error rate is
0.0024 on qubit 0 and
0.0032 on qubit 1. Then the avg 2q error rate for gates that operate on (0, 1) is 0.01 and (1, 0) is not supported by the target. This will be used for scoring if it’s set as the
vf2_avg_error_map key in the property set when
VF2PostLayout is run.
VF2PostLayout pass instance
- target (Target) – A target representing the backend device to run
VF2PostLayouton. If specified it will supersede a set value for
- coupling_map (CouplingMap) – Directed graph representing a coupling map.
- properties (BackendProperties) – The backend properties for the backend. If
readout_error()is available it is used to score the layout.
- seed (int (opens in a new tab)) – Sets the seed of the PRNG. -1 Means no node shuffling.
- call_limit (int (opens in a new tab)) – The number of state visits to attempt in each execution of VF2.
- time_limit (float (opens in a new tab)) – The total time limit in seconds to run
- strict_direction (bool (opens in a new tab)) – Whether the pass is configured to follow the strict direction in the coupling graph. If this is set to false, the pass will treat any edge in the coupling graph as a weak edge and the interaction graph will be undirected. For the purposes of evaluating layouts the avg error rate for each qubit and 2q link will be used. This enables the pass to be run prior to basis translation and work with any 1q and 2q operations. However, if
strict_direction=Truethe pass expects the input
run()to be in the target set of instructions.
- max_trials (int (opens in a new tab)) – The maximum number of trials to run VF2 to find a layout. A value of
0(the default) means ‘unlimited’.
TypeError (opens in a new tab) – At runtime, if neither
target are provided.
Check if the pass is an analysis pass.
If the pass is an AnalysisPass, that means that the pass can analyze the DAG and write the results of that analysis in the property set. Modifications on the DAG are not allowed by this kind of pass.
Check if the pass is a transformation pass.
If the pass is a TransformationPass, that means that the pass can manipulate the DAG, but cannot modify the property set (but it can be read).
execute(passmanager_ir, state, callback=None)
Execute optimization task for input Qiskit IR.
- passmanager_ir (Any (opens in a new tab)) – Qiskit IR to optimize.
- state (PassManagerState) – State associated with workflow execution by the pass manager itself.
- callback (Callable (opens in a new tab) | None) – A callback function which is caller per execution of optimization task.
Optimized Qiskit IR and state of the workflow.
Name of the pass.
run the layout method
Update workflow status.
- state (PassManagerState) – Pass manager state to update.
- run_state (RunState) – Completion status of current task.
Updated pass manager state.